Wednesday 1 June 2011

Adele Carles on ‘Desiderata’

As Fremantle Poetry Month approaches, we asked some Fremantle people about their favourite poetry, poems and poets.

Adele Carles MLA is the State Member for Fremantle; she has a history of community activism in Fremantle that goes back many years. She has campaigned to save our beaches and to stop lead contamination. She is a passionate advocate for the Fremantle community on social justice issues, and is outspoken on Western Australian issues.

Here’s what she had to say about her favourite poem:

“An old favourite for me is ‘Desiderata’ by Max Ehrmann. It makes me think of my mother, because she had a copy of it hanging up in her bedroom when I was a child and I remember reading it many times. I particularly like the following verse:

You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.”

No comments:

Post a Comment