Wednesday 11 May 2011

Glen Hunting, author of 'The Island'

What song would the narrator/protagonist of your story sing at a karaoke bar and why?

If my nameless wanderer ever became too distressed by his situation to think about his dignity, he might rouse himself into giving a mournful rendition of ‘If You Could Read My Mind’, in the style of Gordon Lightfoot (definitely not in the style of Stars on 54). He’d have to change the lyrics for the verses i.e. ‘I don’t know where we went wrong, but my Island’s/wife’s gone and I just can’t get it/her back.’ That would give the punters something to puzzle over, if they weren’t already too drunk.

But dignity is such an important part of the man’s character; it’s what prevents his sense of loss from becoming maudlin. So I can’t really envisage my protagonist ever taking part in karaoke. He has neither the exuberance, nor the lack of musical taste, nor the total disregard for his vocal inability that such an activity would require of him. This applies equally to his wife. As for the island, well ... I know my island talks, but whoever heard of a singing island? Really, people; that’s just silly ...

No comments:

Post a Comment