Friday 30 July 2010

Villanelle Competition Entry: Eighteen

I know how the earth and moon dance

I know how the earth and moon dance:
circling the other with reticent grace
two lovers caught in a magnetic trance.

I revolve around you, trailing a glance,
you turn with me too, eyes fixed my face.
I know how the earth and moon dance.

I’m orbiting you, entirely entranced
you’re mesmerised by the pull of the chase,
drawn like two lovers in a magnetic trance.

I’m dizzy with spinning, ill with romance
as my love gets caught up in the vacuum of space:
caught like two lovers in a magnetic trance.

What wouldn’t I sacrifice for a single chance
of closing in for a warming embrace?
I know how the earth and moon dance.

We waltz and we waltz in the endless expanse,
how long must you keep me held here in this space?
I know how the earth and moon dance:
alone, as two lovers in a magnetic trance.

Amanda Betts

No comments:

Post a Comment